2/22/10

Apple Tree Spring Pruning

So, the decisions were contemplated, and the cuts were made. Our young orchard that we planted last year got it's first hair cut and we are so proud of it. I was urged to start with the lower branches, eliminating the future hassle of mowing obstacles. Then the harder part, selecting the main branches to determine the shape of the little tree, always snipping down to an outward bud. This was the hardest part as most of our trees didn't give us many options, they were weird to say the least, branches heavy on one side and empty on the other side type of thing. Finally trimming back a bit if all growth from the past year. I'd have to say that the book "the apply grower" didn't make it sound any easier than it was. Obviously there is a science to this and a rookie can only hope that the trees will overcome any wrong choices and cuts that were made. The straight forward cuts were all of the branches that had some dead parts to them, or funky spots that just needed to go. I still need to wash my clippers with alcohol, and actually I could use a brand new pair of clippers, I used Paul's (I don't have my own) and his have been mis-treated and have some rust on them. All in all it was a beautiful day, the sun was out and the bees were out of their box and buzzing around, it was lovely and I can only hope that I helped the future of the orchard. Last year we got 5 little Liberty Apples, this year my fingers are crossed for more, if not apples, at least many flowers for my bees to enjoy!