12/5/09

false pregnancy but plenty of meat.






So we've been bamboozled. Hershey is not pregnant, she is not having her first litter, she fooled us and herself. She continues to nest, and wants to eat like an expecting mama (our pet food bill went up these past 70 days, letting her eat till her content). So what to say, we feel silly, stupid, a little sad, but also relief. Now we don't have to convert the back of my Nissan pick-up into a puppy play ground as we are soon to take our annual winter road trip. That surely will be lighter load and less of a headache on the road. (this year we'll do the pacific coast So Cal to Seattle). And no more wondering where all the puppies will go. But still slightly sad, as puppies are always a bundle of cuteness. Well take a deep breath and let it sink in, because the converted bird brooder turned dog birthing box is being dismantled as I type.
Instead of dwelling, I'll take the time to quickly celebrate and announce the arrival of our first bacon! YES! Our pork we took into Talyor's Sausage in Cave Junction is now smoked and sliced and ready to be picked up and savored. Now that is something to write home about. Second reasons for toasts and cheers is the security of knowing where our beef will be hung and cured for 7-14 days. Excellent to know as now we can cap those big guys and replenish our beef supply. I can type it so easily, but trust me, the whole process does not go with out emotion and shed tears. I will miss hearing the "wild animal" park noises coming from the back acres of the house, hungry steers remind me of the noise that comes from elephants. Maybe it's just me, but it's true I can close my eyes and vision elephants roaming the 6 acres here in the coastal pastures and speckled stands of old growth redwoods here in fort dick. The nearby ocean roars like a pack of lions the sky fills with migratory birds and all the while I'm snug by the wood stove on a chilly winter night. Life is good. Pork is wonderful, and beef is an old fav. Here's to the beasts that fall to feed us- hip hip hooray.